The last few weeks I've been sort of detached from reality or something. Don't worry, I'm not about to get deep on this blog but I just wanted to make a nice excuse for not writing any entertaining posts.While nothing especially wonderful has happened to me lately (aside from that fabulous Halloween shitshow), I have incorporated a few new treasures into my daily Estonian life.
Firstly, I've made it a weekly ritual to visit Piia's mum and granny every Sunday evening. Traditional Estonians as they are, they've got a sauna room built on the side of their wooden house and this has quickly become the real reason I venture out into the cold and travel 30 minutes across town every week. (That and the fact that granny usually sends us home with some delicious goody.) The first time I sat in the 100°C heat of the sauna I thought my face was going to melt off but now there is nothing I enjoy more than rubbing myself in honey and sitting naked, huddled in this human toaster-oven pretending I am a real Estonian girl. The experience has taken my pores to a whole new level.

The other delightful little trinket I've come to embrace in my daily life is this tasty Estonian breakfast substance called kama flour. Kama is "a healthy and natural product made from Estonian crops." In other words, it's like toasted sand you dump in your yogurt to make you feel healthy in the morning. It's like...I don't know...drinking bubble tea. You're disgusted by the texture of this tasteless crap invading what would be a normal beverage, and at the same time you're so intrigued...you just can't stop til all the little tapioca balls are gone and then you still feel so confused, so you just keep trying it again and again. I love it!
In other news, we've acquired the following toys in the last 2 weeks:
- The Microkorg- The holiest of all synthesizers. I can scream Mary Poppins tunes into this thing and they come out sounding like a 70 yr-old smoker's rendition of Anti-Christ Superstar
- A sewing machine- I've already sewn some cute red curtains to match my newly painted walls and will soon be making multitudes of garments you know are about to get Barack Obama's face printed all over them
- The Hula Hoop- I don't think I even need to describe what kind of fun I've been having with this guy.
Later.

No comments:
Post a Comment