My
sTaLliNn apartment is dope as shit with the exception of 2 things:
- It's 90 degrees below zero but the heating won't get turned on until October.
- I have no living room.
The result of these 2 factors is that
Piia and I live huddled around a mini space heater on an air mattress in the kitchen and are afraid to venture into any other room of the house for fear of getting frost bitten.
OK, I'm exaggerating a little but my
real point here is that we don't have a living room and that living in
la cuisine is fine if you're 2 chicks who are usually too drunk on vodka to give a fuck which room of the apt they're in but NOT fine if you're, for example, a group of old ladies wanting to enjoy an afternoon tea party...
Helgi, Evi and Meliita
Piia and I encountered this technicality last Sunday when her mama announced she'd be stopping by with
Piia's granny (
Helgi!),
Helgi's sister
Evi, and sister-in-law
Meliita for some post-Birthday celebrations. We figured the
grannyz wouldn't want to participate in our usual kitchen tile pow-wow so we spent all morning converting my bedroom into a senior-friendly environment. (Had to hide the "Rabbit" and take down the Slayer posters.) We actually made the place look quite festive and as far as I could tell, the ladies were impressed with our capabilities as proper hostesses.
Honestly, this was one of the best times I've had so far in Estonia. These old

Estonian women know how to get down on a Sunday afternoon. They start off all sweet and reserved with a cup of tea but within 10 minutes they break out the wine and
homemade apple juice and get right to it. I had been dying to try this
sandwich cake that I kept seeing around town and to my delight, Mama
Ülle brought us a
homemade one! La
bomba.

The meal was finished off with some type of peachy cheesecake goodness baked by
Evi and a knot-shaped bun from Granny
Helgi that seriously changed my life. We chased it all down with some coffee and
Vana Tallinn.
Estonian Lunch Coma. Well worth leaving the warm kitchen.
No comments:
Post a Comment